1. Wear Ihram
- When someone intending to perform Umrah (or Hajj) reaches the ‘Meeqat’, he/she then enters the state of Ihram. Before passing the Meeqat – (the place where the Umrah starts, and one enters the state of Ihram) ; follow links for details how to wear Ihram - Link
The one who enters state of ihram is known as Muhrim.
2. Declare Intention
- Labbaik Allaahumma 'Umrah(Here I am O Allah making 'Umraah)
3. Make the Talbiyah (men to raise their voices) and continue making the Talbiyah until you reach the Kaba and start your Tawaf
Labbayk Allahumma labbayk, labbayka laa shareeka laka labbayk, innal‐hamda wan‐ni'mata laka wal‐mulk, laa shareeka lak
(Here I am, O Allah, here I am. Here I am. You have no partner. Here I am. Surely all praise, grace and dominion is yours, and you have no partner.)
4. Entering Masjid Al Haram
Enter with your right foot
Make duaa of the Masjid
Bismillahi, Allallhumma salli 'alaa muhammadin wa sallim ‐ allaahumma aftah lee abwaaba rahmatika
(In the name of Allaah! O Allaah! Exalt the mention of your Messenger. O Allaah! Forgive my sins, and open the gates of your mercy for me)
5. Tawaf (7 rounds around the Ka'bah) ‐ You must be in Wudu (ablution)
- Men to leave their right shoulder bare ONLY during the entire Tawaf, this is called Idtiba'a, after the tawaf men need to cover both shoulders.
- Start at the Black Stone, either Kiss it if you can, if not Touch it with your right hand, if not face the Black Stone and point at it with your right hand
- Say Bismillah, Allahu Akbar (just before kissing it/or just before or whilst touching/pointing)
- For men, to Raml (hasten/briskly walk) during the first 3 rounds of Tawaf and walk normally during the other 4 rounds.
- Once you reach the Yamani corner, either Touch it with your right hand (do not kiss it), and say Bimsillah Allahu Akbar or if unable, then continue without gesturing or saying anything
- From the Yamani corner to the Black Stone recite Rabbanaa aatinaa fid‐dunyaa hasanatan wa feel aakhirati hasanatan wa qinaa 'adhaaban naar
(Our Lord, grant us good in this life and good in the hereafter and save us from the punishment of the Hellfire.
- Once you return back to the Black Stone, you have completed 1 round, and you need to repeat the above steps 6 more times.
NB.There is no specific duaa's that must be read during the Tawaf. Make as many supplications from your heart, for that which will benefit you. Recite whatever you wish, supplicate to Allaah by asking for good, recite the Quran, anything you wish.
6. After Completing Tawaf, proceed to Maqaam‐e Ibraaheem ‐ (Prophet Ibraaheem's(S.A) station)
Recite this verse (which means):
Wattakhidhoo min‐maqaami ibraaheema musalla
(And take you (people) the Maqaam (place) of Ibraheem as a place of Prayer. [Quran; 2:125])
Pray two short Rak'ahs, as close as conveniently possible behind Maqaam‐e Ibraheem. If it is not possible then you can pray them anywhere in the sacred mosque.
It is preferred to recite during the first Rak'ah (after Surah Al Fatiha), Surah Al‐Kafiroon and during the second Rak'ah (after Surah Al Fatiha) Surah Al‐lkhlaas
Take Umrah Quiz
If you need any online classes please contact me. We can arrange online class on skype. Classes will be in English and only on Fridays.
7. Go to Zam Zam Wells
- Make duaa before drinking
- Drink Zam Zam water
- Pour water over your head Return to the Black Stone touch it with your right hand (as before), if it is not convenient to do nothing, and proceed to do Sai.
8. Sa'i (7 circuits)
having wudu is highly recommended, but not compulsory
As you leave the boundary of the Masjid, you can say (as prescribed for all Masaajid):
Bismillahi was‐salaatu was‐salaamu 'alaa rasoolillahi, Allahum‐ma inee a'‐aluka min fadhlika, Allahum‐ma a'simnee minash‐shaitaanie‐rajeem
(In the name of Allah, and prayers and peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah. O Allaah, I ask You from Your favour. O Allaah, guard from the accursed devil.)
Upon approaching Mount Safaa, the following ayaat (verse) is recited
Innas‐safaa wal marwata min sha'aa'irillaahi faman hajjal baita 'awi'tamara falaa janaaha 'alaihi an yattawwafa bihimaa wa man tatawwa'a khiran fa'innallaaha shaakirun 'aleemun
(Verily, As‐Safaa and Al‐Marwah are from the symbols of Allaah. So it is not a sin on him who performs Hajj or 'Umrah of the house (ka 'bah) to perform the going (tawaaf) between them. And whoever does good voluntarily, then verily, Allaah is the All‐Recognizer, All‐Knower. [Quran; 2:158])
Abda'u bimaa bada'Allahu bihi (I begin with what Allaah began with.)
Then ascend upon Mount Safaa, face the Qiblah, raise your hands and recite 3 times:
Allaahu akbar allaahu akbar allaahu akbar. (Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest, Allaah is the Greatest) Laa ilaaha illa Allah, Wahdahu laa Sharika lah, Lah ul‐Mulk, Wa lah ul‐Hamd, Wa huwa 'ala Kulli shay'in Qadeer, Laa ilaaha illa Allah, Anjaza wa'dah, Wa Nasara 'abdah, Wa hazam al‐Ahzaba wahdah (There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah, Alone. He has no partner, To Him belongs the kingdom, & all praise belongs to Him, & He has power above all things, There is nothing worthy of worship except Allah, He fulfilled His promise, Granted victory to His servant, And alone He defeated the allied army.)
Then you Praise Allah, Send Salaam upon Muhammad (sa) and then make as much personal Du'as as you like. Pray for anything from the goodness of this life and the next, pray for both yourself and others. Then descend from Mount Safaa and go walking towards Mount Marwah When you reach the green sign, men are to hasten their walk for a while, but do not run. Then return to your normal phase of walk at the next green sign. Upon reaching Mount Marwah repeat the same procedure as when ascending Mount Safaa (face the Qibla, raise your hands and repeat what was said on Mount Safaa.) This completes one circuit.
Continue and complete in total 7 circuits, ending the last one on Mount Marwah. Enjoy the process. You've come all this way, open your heart in glorification and Dua to Allah!
NB.There are no particular supplications to be recited between Safaa and Marwah. It is up to the worshipper to praise Allah or supplicate Him in his own words, or he may recite portions of the Qur'an.
It is recommended for men are to shave all their hair, but they can trim it all the way round Women are to shorten their hair by a finger tip. Now all Ihraam rules are lifted,and your Umrah is completed.
سُبْحَانَ رَبِّكَ رَبِّ الْعِزَّةِ عَمَّا يَصِفُون َ ; وَسَلامٌ عَلَى الْمُرْسَلِينَ ; وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
Ask if you have any questions or comments in the box below. Also share your experience with us.
We can arrange online class on skype. Classes will be in English and only on Fridays.
Get the PDF Book By Late Muhammad Moinuddin Ahmad (Please include him in your prayers)