Changing Lanes during driving in Dubai
There are many multiple lane roads in Dubai, with more being built to cope with increased traffic demand. Changing lanes on these roads may seem like a common driving task, but do not be
fooled into thinking this is easy.
To change lanes you need to:
- Plan what you are going to do well ahead.
- Check the position of vehicles ahead, behind and to your sides.
- Signal early, as this warns other drivers and allows them to plan what they need to do.
- Be aware that the driver in the vehicle in front of you may signal to change lanes at the same time. In this case, you should wait until the driver in front completes his move to another lane.
When you have checked that it is safe to change lanes make sure you:
- Check your mirrors
- Signal to the right or left giving sufficient warning to other drivers of your intentions
- Check your mirrors again
- Check your blind spot by doing a headcheck to the right or left
- Control your speed as you may need to maintain, increase or decrease your speed depending on the traffic conditions
- Steer smoothly and gradually, as this allows other drivers to let you in.
- Once you are completely in the new lane remember to check your mirrors again and cancel your indicator.
The rules for changing lanes also apply whenever you cross any broken line marked on the
road which indicates that a lane ends – for example when merging into freeway traffic.
Maintain your vehicle’s position and do not cut into other lanes. If you want to change lanes
in slow moving, heavy traffic, check your mirrors and perform a head check to ensure that there is sufficient space for you to change lanes safe.
Tips on your driving test for lane change
- Practice and practice
- do mock tests with your friends and relatives - by imagining you are driving car. The lane change is a common task and experience drivers is doing very simply because it become a habit for them. As you are new to this mock test help to form the habit loop
- Do not swerve - it will make you immediate fails
Tips on your daily driving
if you want to drive at lower speeds should keep to the slower lanes.
if the maximum speed of the road is 120km/h and the minimum is 60km/h, this means that the speed on the lane on the extreme right is 60km/h and the next lane’s speed will be 70km/h and so on until you reach the fast lane,” said Colonel Saif Muhair Al Mazroui, Director of Dubai Traffic Police.
follow safe distance while driving, do not tail gateThe fast lane is meant for emergencies, such as people who are trying to get to a hospital, and should be used accordingly
follow the lane discipline
Wish you good luck